BIOTHIN Berberine with Chromium
As wonderful as berberine appears to be, it has one serious drawback...
It is nearly impossible for your body to absorb and utilize the raw extract. In fact, the absolute bioavailability of pure berberine is less than 1% due to its limited ability to cross your gut wall.
In addition to poor absorption in your gut, berberine is rapidly metabolized and converted to an ineffective ionic form, making it not very useful. So regular berberine must typically be taken in very high doses; however, it can cause unwanted GI side effects.
BIOTHIN® Berberine with Chromium provides berberine in a special form that overcomes these limitations.
By utilizing a phytosome delivery system specially designed according to the properties of berberine, Dr Mercola has been able to increase the amount of berberine released into the GI tract and optimize berberine’s bioavailability tenfold.
Why Your Healthy Body Needs Chromium
Chromium, a metal, was discovered in France in the late 18th century, but it wasn’t recognized as a nutrient until the 1960s. While it’s considered an essential trace element for health, your body only requires a very small amount.
As you age, you are more likely to become deficient in chromium. A chromium deficiency is linked to poor metabolic health, and can affect the way your body uses and stores sugar and insulin.
Signs you may be chromium deficient include fatigue, dizziness and cravings for sugar and carbs.
So what can chromium potentially do for your health?
- It may help promote healthy blood sugar levels.
- Researchers reviewed 41 studies on chromium and concluded that chromium supplementation may have a beneficial impact on fasting glucose levels in certain individuals due to its effects on insulin.
- It may be a useful tool for managing your weight.
- Six weeks of supplemental chromium during a rat study resulted in an increase in lean body mass and a decrease in fat mass compared to rats in the control group. Human studies show higher levels of chromium may help reduce appetite and cravings for carbohydrates.
- It can help you absorb more nutrients from the foods you eat and, at the same time, promote healthy lipid levels.
- Chromium is required for the metabolism of fats (including dietary cholesterol), so supplemental chromium may help you maintain balanced, healthy lipid levels.* People with cardiovascular concerns were found to have lower levels of chromium in their bodies.
- It may help promote an already normal inflammatory response.
- Some forms of chromium may help maintain normal blood levels of por-inflammatory cytokines and help protect against oxidative stress.
- It may help with mood.